An exciting opportunity exists for a Legal Counsel to help oversee the legal management of the HQLAx business, which is building a new collateral exchange platform using distributed ledger (‘blockchain’) technology to digitise baskets of assets and create a standardised token lending marketplace to help market participants redistribute liquidity more effectively and more cost efficiently. The Legal Counsel will liaise with the Senior Management Team, and will assume a hands-on role with responsibility for the day-to-day legal operations of the company.
HQLAx is a partnership of financial market veterans focused on providing corporate and bank treasurers with a cost effective, standardised, transparent and scalable market solution to transfer liquidity more efficiently.
- A prototype version of the HQLAx securities lending platform was originally built in 2017 using Corda via a collaboration of 5 banks, R3, and HQLAx.
- Subsequently, an early version of the platform was used to execute a live transaction between 2 banks at the start of 2018.
- In April 2018, Deutsche Börse Group and HQLAx announced a partnership to build the HQLAx platform on the R3 Corda Blockchain Platform.
- And more recently, Deutsche Börse Group announced that it expanded its partnership with HQLAx by acquiring a minority stake in HQLAx.
Press releases for the above milestones are available here: https://www.hqla-x.com/category/news
The Legal Counsel position is critical to the success of the HQLAx platform. Located in Luxembourg, the position requires strong experience in various areas of business law, including contract law, corporate law, competition law, intellectual property, employment law, litigations, etc…
The successful candidate will serve as the primary lawyer for HQLAx responsible for advising the business on a day-to-day basis on a broad range of corporate, commercial, regulatory aspects, including resolving issues which may arise in both existing and new commercial relationships.
The Legal Counsel is likely to have worked in both banking and startup environments, be comfortable with ambiguity, have impeccable character, be a “player and a coach”, be strictly non-political, and be passionate about building commercially successful solutions.
The successful candidate will be accountable for all legal matters related to the operations of HQLAx, and will be a talented, professional and experienced individual, capable of managing a diverse list of tasks. This role involves liaising with HQLAx business functions, legal departments of HQLAx partner companies, as well as where appropriate external legal services providers.
HQLAx is a growing company and as such is constantly looking for the next opportunity and therefore ensures that all ideas are welcome.
HQLAx has offices in both Luxembourg and Zug. This opportunity exists in Luxembourg, but from time to time may require travel to other cities mostly in Europe.
Attractive and competitive benefits package included.
- Provide legal support (legal added value) such as legal advice, drafting contracts, and negotiation with both customers and service providers, related to the operations of the HQLAx business
- Join internal business meetings and, when appropriate, negotiation with third parties
- Provide legal support for the development of client solutions and business relationships
- Drive services provided by external law firms
- Follow current and future business issues or opportunities and proactively propose legal approaches and input to be put in place to support those business opportunities
- Preparation / negotiation of customer contracts
- Preparation / negotiation of service agreements
- Stay up-to-date on regulatory and law changes
- Application of AML and compliance procedures
- Negotiate with group clients, suppliers, as well as authorities
- Identify, develop and deliver legal trainings to the business as required
- Understand regulation, legislation and industry developments and how they will impact the business
- Organization of meetings (with clients, board, shareholders, intermediaries, legal counsel, notaries, …) including minutes where appropriate
- Organizing, advising and assisting with the overall corporate structure of the company
- Preparation of proxies
- Maintain the register of shareholders
- Perform ad hoc legal tasks like review and preparation of relative simple legal documents where no consultation is needed from an expert legal counsel e.g. loans, share transfers, POA’s, resolutions to amend the articles of association and the process thereof
- Provide general legal advice on applicable laws and regulations and on all company policies and guidelines (Compliance, Privacy)
- Prepare and provide assistance in the preparation of notarial deeds (increase / decrease of share capital, dissolution, liquidation, etc …)
- Manage and keep up to date legal documents
- Master degree in Law (e.g. Business law)
- Obtained relevant experience of minimum 10 years as Company lawyer or in a Law Firm based in Luxembourg; experience in the industry would be an asset
- Strong experience in various basic areas of business law (contract law, corporate law, competition law, intellectual property, insurance, labor law, litigations, etc)
- Fluent in English and French (spoken and written)
- Beyond the legal theoretical knowledge, have strong ability to understand the business, technical and financial aspects of strategic projects
- Experience in previous roles of developing smart legal structuring and strategic solutions, clearly contributing to generate added value
- Pragmatic in approach and business solution oriented
- A self-starter and somebody that is willing roll up sleeves to help HQLAx achieve its goals
- Curious, creative, and proactive in proposing new ideas to deliver even more added value to the company
- Dynamic, proactive, highly organized and detail-orientated with a client focus
- Thrives in a dynamic, challenging environment; able to adapt easily to change
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to persuade and influence
- Committed, enthusiastic and able to use initiative to help drive the business forward
- Analytical mind with attention for quality
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, as well as demonstrated proficiency in working closely with and advising senior executives of an organization
- A team player who can work independently as well
- Ability to build effective relationships
More information on HQLAx is available here: www.hqla-x.com
If you are interested in this role, please contact email@example.com