An exciting opportunity exists for a CTO to lead the development and build of HQLAᵡ’s new collateral exchange platform which will use R3’s Corda distributed ledger technology to digitise baskets of assets and create a standardised token lending marketplace to help market participants redistribute liquidity more effectively and more cost efficiently.
HQLAᵡ is a partnership of financial market veterans focused on providing corporate and bank treasurers with a cost effective, standardised, transparent and scalable market solution to transfer liquidity more efficiently.
A prototype version of the HQLAᵡ securities lending platform was originally built in 2017 using Corda via a collaboration of 5 banks, R3, and HQLAᵡ.
Subsequently, an early version of the platform was used to execute a live transaction between 2 banks at the start of 2018.
In April 2018, Deutsche Börse Group and HQLAᵡ announced a partnership to build the HQLAᵡ platform on the R3 Corda Blockchain Platform. And more recently, Deutsche Börse Group announced that it expanded its partnership with HQLAᵡ by acquiring a minority stake iHQLAᵡ.
Press releases for the above milestones are available here:
The CTO position is critical to the success of the HQLAx platform. The successful candidate will have a successful track record of delivering complex software projects and be able to point to experience of establishing sound software development processes and tooling. They will be experienced in multiple languages and multiple development methodologies and will have a strong track record of leading delivering complex client facing applications and solutions. They are likely to have worked in both banking and startup environments, be comfortable with ambiguity, have impeccable character, be a “player and a coach”, be strictly non-political, and be passionate about building and leading teams. They will likely be active in one or more open source projects, have experience working in geographically distributed teams and have a sound understanding of security engineering principles. Capital Markets and/or Trading technology experience is not mandatory, but a plus.
One of the first responsibilities of the CTO will be to hire the development team to build and support the platform. The opportunity will suit an individual looking to make a name for themselves who has excelled in previous assignments and who has the potential to make a real impact. The location of the HQLAx development team may depend on the location of the CTO but will be in either Zug or Luxembourg. The CTO will report directly to the CEO of HQLAᵡ.
- Direct the full lifecycle development of the HQLAᵡx collateral exchange platform from inception, architectural design, GUI design, build, functional testing, non-functional testing, implementation, and integration with existing banking systems of HQLAᵡ ‘s clients.
- Hands on development of key components of the HQLAᵡ collateral exchange platform.
- Resolve high-priority/high-risk design questions and ensure the platform design is suitable to meet the security, disaster recovery, client confidentiality needs of HQLAᵡ’s clients.
- Hire, retain, motivate, drive accountability, mentor and grow developers in the HQLAᵡ development team, and demonstrate commitment to excellence and integrity.
- Evaluate new technology and makes recommendations on technological solutions for the benefit of HQLAᵡ’s strategic goals.
- Define scalable, monitored, reliable electronic trading architectures, including the evaluation of thirdparty service providers.
- Partner with the Deutsche Börse Group technology team to propose enhancements to the overall technology architecture of the HQLAᵡ platform.
- Partner with the R3 Corda development team to propose enhancements to the Corda Enterprise platform that will mutually benefit both the HQLAᵡ platform and other Corda based solutions.
- Establish technical support model for the HQLAᵡ platform.
- Work closely with other HQLAᵡ personnel to ensure the HQLAᵡ’s collateral lending platform meets the functional requirements as defined by HQLAᵡ in collaboration with its customers.
- Passionately and actively lead technical innovation within HQLAᵡ and identify competitive advantages and technological trends for the benefit of HQLAᵡ.
- Facilitate collaboration resulting in sound ideas and detailed solutions.
- Build partnerships that aid in delivering against the objectives of the company.
- Create long range technological roadmaps supporting the organisation’s strategic roadmap.
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, complex technological concepts and projects to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Make presentations to HQLAᵡ co-founders, board of directors and chief executive officer.
- Approve purchases of technological equipment and software and establish partnerships with IT providers including management of vendors/partners performance.
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Engineering, or related field.
- Beyond this, the individual will need to have a technical degree from a top university and significant hands-on experience in the fields of software development and platform management including experience with multiple software development methodologies and project management frameworks to create the best overall approach within an organization.
- Significant experience of leadership or management of a small to medium-sized development or technology team with demonstrated ability to grow engineering teams and drive accountability and performance through others.
- Experience of shipping software products on an aggressive timeline.
- Built and/or managed a development team (Back-End, Front-End, UX design) that created a successful product of significant scale.
- Thorough conversancy in multiple technologies, architectural, and functional design principles and a strong understanding of full-stack development, Java and or Kotlin, Oracle database technology, Java Message Service, and Public Key Infrastructure. Knowledge of Blockchain, Distributed ledger technology or distributed systems is a plus. Thrives in a dynamic, challenging environment; able to adapt easily to change.
- Experience of conceiving, designing, implementing, leading, and assessing projects from start to finish.
- A self-starter and somebody that is willing roll up sleeves to help HQLAx achieve its goals.
- Advanced IT Knowledge, Critical Thinking, Interpersonal Skills, Motivator, Technological Analysis, Research, Business, Computational Skills, Excellent Written and Oral Communication Skills, Public Speaking, Presentations, Team Building, Industry Knowledge, IT Terminology, Computer Network Development and Maintenance, Client Management.
If you are interested in this role, please contact Guido Stroemer at email@example.com